SEARCH MY BLOG

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Top 100 Movies: Part 10: 10-6.

The Top 10 Movies list is finally here! Surprisingly, the top ten was relatively easy to rank compared to the rest of the list with only number seven and eight being difficult to rank. However, the top six and maybe seven are set in stone; the likelihood of them changing in the near future is highly unlikely, but not impossible.

At Number 10: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Somehow Spielberg and Lucas managed to add something entirely new to the Indiana Jones franchise, yet take it back to what made Raiders so amazing. The father/son relationship is the best and adds real heart and more tension to the film. Although some might say that the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the last movie in the Indiana Jones franchise, I refuse to admit that disgrace to the franchise was the last installment because the Last Crusade ended the series perfectly.
 


At Number 9: Raiders of the Lost Ark
 Raiders of the Lost Ark is the definitive action adventure film that all other subsequent action adventure films were inspired by. Indiana Jones was one of the first action heroes that was made vulnerable and human, which makes every action scene intense and thrilling. Even the Academy recognized the film's brilliance nominating it for Best Picture, few action films are even considered.  


At Number 8: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Hobbit has caused a great divide in the "Ringer/Tolkien" community, some like myself, love the film, even if it does not come even close to matching the greatness of The Lord of the Rings and others cannot stand the chances made to the source material. While I have intentionally avoided reading the book to make the film feel new and fresh, and will admit that there are a few very minor flaws, An Unexpected Journey is an excellent film. How can I argue more Middle Earth for the new generation, it is awesome!


At Number 7: The Avengers
Joss Whedon accomplished the impossible with The Avengers. Never before has a comic book film been so bold and unforgiving in the fact that it is based on a comic book, and never tries to hid from it. Somehow every character was given their moment to shine, and Whedon's expertly written banter is pure perfection. The action is unparalleled, ending with the most insane battle I have ever seen on the big screen. Despite the beyond impressive action, the film had heart and even made the seemingly invincible heroes like real people with problems. In terms of adapting the spirit of the source material to screen, no film does it better. The Avengers was everything I wanted to see in a film and no film has ever satisfied my expectations more than The Avengers, it is basically perfection.

 
Note: For the following Lord of the Rings film that the extended edition of the films rank the same as the theatrical versions but the extended editions just make a perfect trilogy even better.


At Number 6: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers/Extended Edition
Continuing Peter Jackson's magnificent trilogy with another beyond amazing installment, The Two Towers took everything of the previous film to a whole other level. Choosing between this and the previous film in the trilogy is nearly impossible, but the Fellowship was more fun and had better re-watch value. The action was bigger and the story grander, the Two Towers is a perfect sequel.
 
Sorry everyone for splitting the list into another part, it seemed like the best thing to do considering how many words it comes out to.
 
Here are links to previous parts of the list:
Top 100 Movies: Part 1: 100-91.
Top 100 Movies: Part 2: 90-81.
Top 100 Movies: Part 3: 80-71.
Top 100 Movies: Part 4: 70-61.
Top 100 Movies: Part 5: 60-51.
Top 100 Movies: Part 6: 50-41.
Top 100 Movies: Part 7: 40-31.
Top 100 Movies: Part 8: 32-21.
Top 100 Movies: Part 9: 20-11.


If you want to contact us or have any question please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

12 comments:

  1. The Indiana Jones movies were awesome. I would not recommend younger kids seeing the second one, The Temple of Doom. Might scare them. The third one, The Last Crusade, is really good. I love those movies, and always will

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these movies are amazing.
    I think it's pretty cool that you have a top 100.... I'd have a really REALLY hard time doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those last three are just wonderful. :)
    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! :D I agree, those films are some of the greatest! :D Of course, I love the Lord of the Rings films, and The Hobbit was awesome as well- it was so cool to return to Middle Earth again :D. And I agree, The Avengers is so amazing- most of the time, if something is over-hyped, I will be disappointed when I see it, but The Avengers went beyond my expectations and that is something that rarely happens :D.
    The first Indiana Jones is my favorite of the films as well :) And the third was so hilarious XD I loved the interactions between him and his dad as well as Hitler signing an autograph on the book they were looking for XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Last Crusade has always been been a personal favorite of mine. I've never been a big Indy fan so I'll be the odd ball and say that's probably my favorite of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gandalf the White's return and his "exorcising" of Theoden are my favorites scenes in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

    B2B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Avengers! BEST. MOVIE. EVAH.

    Speaking of The Hobbit, did you see the trailer for The Desolation of Smaug yet? Looks good!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  8. @HippieGirl21: Yeah, the Temple of Doom kind of really freaked me out when I was a kind. Few are better than Indy, love all of them, except for the fourth one, that was horrible.

    @Alana: Thanks! It certainly was not easy, I have actually been planning for almost two years.

    @S.W.: Glad you like them!

    @Shena Tokala: Thank you! :D The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit are so indescribably amazing. :)
    That Hitler signing scene was so hilarious! The HISHE one about it was so funny.

    @Daniel: Can't disagree, both of the Indy films are amazing. The Last Crusade was my favorite for a long time.

    @Buddy2Blogger: Those are some of my favorite scenes as well. "You have no power here, Gandalf the Gray."

    @Jamie: Couldn't have said it better my self!

    Yes I have and I cannot wait to see it!

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Hobbit is better then LOLR.
    Just my opinion.☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. We agree that the Indy movies are in any top ten list. I would not rate the LOTR or Hobbit so highly, same for Avengers. However I am in my fifties so its surprising how similar our tastes are. I will say again what a great list, will be watching for the top four.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Rogan: Glad you enjoyed the Hobbit that much. :) LOTR will always be my favorite fantasy film.

    @Steve: Thank you and that is very interesting that our taste in film are similar. I grew up watching many movies from your era and love them. It would be great to read a top 10 list by you.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi James, yes when I have enough reviews to copy what you have done I will rank them, but this may take some time.

    ReplyDelete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...