SEARCH MY BLOG

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Top 10 Actresses: Part 1: 10-6.

Similar to my Top 10 Actors list, here is my Top 10 Actresses list. Making this Top 10 Actresses list was more difficult than my Actors list. While I have certainly seen and like many different actresses, I have not seen a single actress in nearly as many movies as I have many actors, therefore, some of my choices are often based on one role from a certain actress. As I stated at the beginning of my Top 10 Actors list, I generally do not care or read about what an actor or actress does off the screen. When playing a character on screen, the identity of the actor is not important, only the performance. Also most of my favorite actresses are modern actresses, although there are many honorable mentions of more classical actresses like Ingrid Bergman. While I always try to keep things professional, it is impossible for me to ignore the fact that most of these actresses are/where extremely attractive.
If you have not read my Top 10 Actors list, please click on the links to read them.
Why did I post this picture here you may ask? Because Jennifer is hilarious and I needed a cool thumbnail for the post.

 
 
At Number 10: Emma Watson
Despite only seeing her in the Harry Potter franchise, she has become one of my favorite actresses. It apparent from the first Harry Potter film that she was the strongest actor of the three main characters of the franchise.
Best Movies: Harry Potter Franchise,
Best Roles: Hermione,


 
At Number 9: Jennifer Lawrence
Honestly, who doesn't like Jennifer Lawrence? She is fun, hilariously honest in interviews, and gives excellent performances, what is there not to like? While most audiences are crazy about her role in the Hunger Games, my favorite performance of hers was in X-Men: First Class as Mystique, although I have not seen Silverlings Playbook, which she won an Oscar for.
Best Movies: X-Men: First Class, The Hunger Games
Best Roles: Mystique
 
At Number 8: Gwyneth Paltrow
The dislike Paltrow receives from some is really mind boggling to me because she is an excellent actress. While only seen as Pepper Pots in the Iron Man trilogy, she is brilliant in that role. She plays off Robert Downey Jr. perfectly with her snappy, and often hilarious, delivery of dialogue.
Best Movies: Iron Man Trilogy,
Best Roles: Pepper Pots,
 
 
At Number 7: Sigourney Weaver
There are few actresses that could have pulled off such a butt kicking heroine but Sigourney Weaver's role as Ellen Ripley is among the best. She even received an Oscar nomination for her performance in Aliens, which is nearly unheard of for an action movie today.
Best Movies: Alien, Aliens, Ghostbusters,
Best Roles: Ellen Ripley,


At Number 6: Grace Kelly
Grace Kelly is the most graceful actress to ever grace the Silver-Screen. OK, enough with the Grace puns. Although Kelly had only made a few films before marrying the Prince of Monaco, in that brief time, she had worked with the great Alfred Hitchcock to make, what I consider one of his best films, Rear Window and another Hitchcock classic, To Catch a Thief. The only one I have yet to see of Hitchcock's work with Kelly is Dial M for Murder, which I hope to see soon.
Best Movies: Rear Window, To Catch a Thief, High Noon, 
Best Roles: Lisa Carol Fremont
 
  
If you want to contact us or have any questions please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

28 comments:

  1. Great choices! Jennifer Lawrence is probably my favorite actress, but I loved all of the actresses you chose. Grace Kelly is amazing (loved your "graceful" pun!) and Dial M for Murder is one of my favorite movies that she's in. You need to watch it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clara! Jennifer is amazing, she is so funny in her interviews. Yes! Someone likes my attempt at humor! I really do need to try and watch Dial M for Murder soon, Hitchcock's movies are the best.

      -James

      Delete
  2. Jennifer Lawrence is probably my favorite on this list. I agree, she's best in X-men: first class.
    I recently watched silver linings playbook. I hated... absolutely hated the movie, but she did a fabulous job as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just curious...what did you "absolutely hate" about Silver Linings Playbook?

      Delete
    2. @Alana: Good to see someone that agree about her performance in X-Men, I can't wait to see more of her in Days of Future Past. Really? I suppose I will have to see it for myself sometime.

      -James

      Delete
    3. Jordan, I found it dull and slow. I nearly fell asleep and couldn't bring myself to even finish it. For me, that's VERY rare.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Can't agree more! By the way, why did you change your name to just "S."?

      -James

      Delete
  4. Interestingly enough, I actually plan on making your #10 and #9 picks my future girlfriends/wives!

    Haha just kidding. But seriously. I love Emma and J-Law

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, good luck with that my friend! They are the best.

      -James

      Delete
  5. Emma Watson and Jennifer Lawrence are like my favorite actresses of all time! I love them! I've never seen Emma Watson in a movie before but she is such a genuine person and I love her for that. And Jennifer Lawrence is just hilarious. I heard she also killed it in Silver Linings Playbook which I'm very excited to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, both actresses are very genuine type people in the interviews I have seen and they are always fun to watch. You need to watch some of Emma's films though, she is great.

      -James

      Delete
  6. Great choices! It's almost impossible not to love Jennifer Lawrence. She did a fantastic job in Silver Linings Playbook; it's a great film. If you have ever seen Winter's Bone, she was also amazing in that one, if not even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Jennifer is such a cool person off the screen. I need to watch both of the those films, and wasn't she nominated for an Oscar for Winter's Bone?

      -James

      Delete
  7. Great choices! :D
    I agree, Emma Watson and Jennifer Lawrence are definitely very talented(and Jennifer is definitely hilarious) and I've really enjoyed the roles they've played(I saw Emma Watson in a movie a long time ago called "Ballet Shoes", which was based off a book I'd read, and she was really good in that one too, especially since she was playing a bit of a selfish character and that was so different from Hermione).
    And people don't like Gweyneth Paltrow? That's odd, since she is very good and was perfect as Pepper in the Iron Man films.
    I haven't seen the other two, but they look cool and I bet they're good(and that's impressive that she was nominated for an oscar, especially considering it was a sci-fi film).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D
      I have heard of that film Emma did, wasn't it a BBC movie or a TV movie? I have not seen it but I have read about it.
      From what I have read and heard, a surprising amount of people do not like Paltrow, which is very odd.
      You would definitely like Weaver in the Alien films. The movies are awesome and she is even better! :) Also Grace Kelly's Hitchcock's films are highly recommended, especially since you are going to be a actor.

      -James

      Delete
  8. Wonderful start to the list, great choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daniel, I am glad you are liking it so far!

      -James

      Delete
  9. Jennifer Lawrence is a really good actor, her acting is phenomenal. I haven't seen her in her Oscar role though...

    I really like Gwyneth Paltrow, I think she's a great actor. She's perfect as Pepper, of course. And I saw her in Sliding Doors, where she played the same character from two alternate universes alongside each other. She was very good in that one as well.

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not either, although I want to see her Oscar winning role sometime soon.

      I have not seen Sliding Doors, although alternate realities is something I usually enjoy; I will need to check it out.

      -James

      Delete
  10. I'm with you on Gwyneth and Grace! I've only seen Jennifer Lawrence in X-Men: First Class and probably was spending too much time trying to figure Michael Fassbender out to really dig her. Emma Watson is cool, and I'd like to see her in more things. I haven't seen any of the Alien movies, but I really liked Sigourney Weaver in Dave, which is one of my favorite comedies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see another fan of Grace and Gwyneth! I am actually hoping that Emma might play a role in Star Wars as unlikely as that may seem at this time.
      It is hard for me to necessarily recommend the Alien movies to you, but if you don't mind the gore, the movies are great. I have not seen Dave, I will need to look into that.

      -James

      Delete
  11. Another great list, James. Good mix of actresses.

    B2B.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahahaha I love Jennifer!
    Oh Dial M for Murder is soo good. I love that movie.
    Have you ever seen How to Steal a Million with Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole? Audrey Hepburn is one of my favorite actresses and How to Steal A Million is one of my favorite movies (it's hilarious)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I have not seen How to Steal a Million, but it sounds as though I should. Both Hepburn and O'Toole are among my favorite actors.

      -James

      Delete
  13. Awesome choices! Jen is first on my list though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice list! I really like what I've seen of Emma Watson's Hermione and it's great to see interviews from Jennifer Lawrence. :D

    ReplyDelete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...