SEARCH MY BLOG

Friday, September 6, 2013

New Sherlock Holmes Movie with Ian McKellen.

Breaking news for Sherlock Holmes fans, a new Sherlock Holmes movie, staring Ian McKellen, and based the novel, A Slight Trick of the Mind, is officially in production! Bill Condon is set to direct and McKellen will be playing the elderly detective as he struggles to fight his deteriorating mind and solve a mystery that is half a decade old. At first my reaction was shock that yet another Sherlock Holmes movie adaptation was being made, but on second thought, this could be an excellent idea, because a more mystery oriented Sherlock Holmes feature film is long over due and McKellen is probably the best possible choice for an older Holmes. Both as Gandalf in the Middle Earth films and Magneto in the X-Men films, he is an excellent actor in terms of acting gravitas. While director, Bill Condon, has won awards for his work with McKellen in the past, my only concern upon viewing his filmography is that he directed the final two Twilight movies (using the term loosely), so he has made complete and utter crap in the past. My other concern is that it might be a cash grab considering the success of the various Sherlock Holmes adaptations across multiple forms of media. From the description of both the book and what the movie is said to cover, they appear to be different, but I have not read the book. As for the movie, I am hoping that it will be more focused on mystery and the character of Holmes because a less flashy Sherlock Holmes movie would be an excellent contrast to the other fantastic adaptations of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's work currently being made. Overall though, I am both hopeful and excited for the new film, and it will most definitely be a film that I want to see. What are your thoughts on this potentially exciting news? Please comment below. 
  
 



A detective is never early nor is he later, he arrives precisely when he means to.

If you want to contact us or have any questions please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

21 comments:

  1. My brother just told me about this last night, and I'm pretty excited about it! It's sure to be a good movie, but I really hope they do it well.

    Your quote at the end made me laugh out loud:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the idea for the movie is quite exciting, so I hope it does not disappoint.

      Yes! Someone found my joke funny! :D

      -James

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't worry about Bill Condon and those Twilight films, those were paycheck movies for him. He's a very talented director.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thoughts about that, I have to agree with you Daniel.

      -James

      Delete
  3. Well this blindsided me; not exactly sure what I think at the moment but I'm having more positive thoughts than negative ones. Once again, it's actually nice to see a well-loved character be portrayed by an older actor, like with the twelfth Doctor. Maybe some audiences will be able to focus more on character growth or story development then on 'how hot' the actors are (even though that's not a bad thing; it just seems like an overwhelming reaction with things like Doctor Who, Sherlock, even The Avengers.)

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was completely floored by the news! I was thinking "Another Sherlock movie? Really!?" but I like the idea behind. Outside of Star Wars, and the Marvel movies, I have to say this makes me very excited! You mean the female audience, but I know what you are saying.

      -James

      Delete
  4. I'm excited! I had no idea this was in the works, I love Ian McKellen in everything I've seen him in, and this looks cool. (Try his Richard III some time -- also has RDJ!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! This news was rather shocking actually. I will have to check that movie out for sure since both of them are in it.

      -James

      Delete
  5. I think it will be interesting to see, and Ian McKellen is an fantastic choice for an older Sherlock Holmes. It could be really good, considering they have such a strong actor, but it could also fall flat, but it does sound good and I hope it turns out really good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there really is not a better choice for the great detective than McKellen. The movie does have a lot of potential to either be amazing or just dull, always hoping for the best though. :)

      -James

      Delete
  6. Interesting.... I personally like RDJ best as Sherlock. I haven't seen Benedict Cumberbatch's version of Sherlock, but I think even if I did I would still like RDJ best. =) Maybe this one will be different enough to be enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult for me to choose a favorite Sherlock because all of the many adaptation that I have seen have a unique element that I enjoyed. But you might want to give Cumberbatch's Sherlock a try, the show is brilliant. =) Also thanks for dropping by and commenting.

      -James

      Delete
    2. I suppose I can't judge when the only Sherlock I've seen is RDJ's version. =) I'm not a huge tv show watcher, but maybe I'll give Sherlock a try. It does look pretty interesting. =D Oh no problem, thanks for returning the comment on one of my blogs. It's rare that I get them!

      Delete
    3. I just noticed that you followed me! Thank so much. Though I will warn you I post more on my word blog (www.intothewesternwild.blogspot.com) than my photo one!

      Delete
    4. If you have any interest in Sherlock Holmes, it is worth a watch. I thought followed your other blog, well that is fixed, I followed both of them now! =)

      -James

      Delete
    5. oh, thanks! Don't know what happened. =)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think McKellen would be a great Holmes, unless the script is really really bad.

    Ian is a fantastic actor. Hoping for the best.

    B2B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, considering the talent behind the project, a weak script is just about the only thing that could hold the movie back.

      -James

      Delete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...