SEARCH MY BLOG

Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Wizard of Oz Review.

Thoughts: The Wizard of Oz, a classic that revolutionized the use of Technicolor and made fantasy films popular. Unlike many, I had never watched the entire Wizard of Oz movie when I was a kid, therefore I have no nostalgic attachment to the film and can give a completely unbiased review. While the Wizard of Oz was what I expected for the most part, it was not particularly special, except in the visual aspect, which was certainly spectacular. The story is simple, the acting is incredibly hammy, and the corniness was painful. Despite this, it did have some fun classic movie charm that made the movie amusing and occasionally fun. Something that is importannt to mention, is that I normally cannot stand musicals, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog being the only exception, so I am bias when it comes to musical. Normally I really do enjoy old classic films, even ones that could be considered corny today like the Adventures of Robin Hood, which was made a year before and was filmed in Technicolor. While I certainly see why the Wizard of Oz made such a big impact on film and culture at the time, it does not necessarily hold up well today, at least not without a lot nostalgia. Although musical fans would likely find much more from the film, I did find one or two of the songs bearable and not too terribly annoying, most of the singing, particularly the munchkins song, overstayed its welcome.
My favorite scene of the entire was the flying monkey attack because it was slightly darker in tone than the rest of the movie and the stunt was impressive for the time.


Directed by: Victor Fleming
Genre: Fantasy, Musical,
Release Date: August 25, 1939
Running Time: 101 minutes
MMPA rating: G


The Good: Impressive visuals for the time, Top notch production values, One decent song, Revolutionary,

The Bad: Painfully corny, Relies completely on nostalgia,




Plot: The following plot summary is copied from Wikipedia.com.
In 1900, Kansas farmgirl Dorothy Gale lives with her Aunt Em, Uncle Henry and farmhands Hunk, Zeke and Hickory, but gets little attention and is told to stay out of the way. Land owner Miss Gulch arrives at the farm demanding that Dorothy's pet dog Toto be destroyed after he bit her. Fearing for Toto's life, Dorothy decides to run away from home. On the road, she meets Professor Marvel, a travelling showman who pretends to foresee Aunt Em falling deathly ill. Dorothy rushes home as a tornado forms nearby. Dorothy's family take shelter in the storm cellar, but, unable to get inside, Dorothy and Toto run into the house. Dorothy is knocked unconscious by debris, and wakes up to find that the house got swept up in the tornado and carried into the sky.
Watch the movie to see what happens next.


Plot: 6.1/10- There is not much to the story, it was very simple and straight, however it was original at the time. Sometimes it is difficult to critic some children's movies, since I have overlook many of the flaws, however there were some "family friendly" films from the time that do hold up well today, like the aforementioned Adventures of Robin Hood. The third act of the Wizard of Oz was superior to the rest of the movie because it lacked nearly as many songs. While the actual story was lacking the whimsical atmosphere was great and it did create a fun and visually appealing fantasy world. The movie did offer a few interesting allegories, similar to many classic children stories. *Spoiler* I found it almost kind of funny is that when Oz gave the Tin Man his "heart" Oz said, "A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others." Isn't that kind of a screwed up moral message? Maybe I am overthinking this, but it is not a general consensus that the message should be the other way around? *End Spoiler*


Action: N/A-


Acting: 3.5/10- Even though I will give the cast some slack because it was probably intentional, the acting was absurdly hammy. Much of it was painful to watch due to its corniness. Only Ray Bolger as the Scarecrow and Jack Haley as the Tin Man gave decent performances among the cast, and I suppose Judy Garland wasn't terrible, however the other cast members were too far over-the-top.


Special effects: 10/10- While many of the sets are clearly sets with painted backgrounds, for the time, the effects were the best. The size and detail of the sets and the was very well done and it uses color well to highlight certain aspects. The makeup work for Dorothy's companions was revolutionary at the time and it still holds up surprising well today. The Tin Man and Scarecrow were especially well done.


Soundtrack: 6.9/10- Considering that it is a musical, many of the songs were annoying to me, but a few songs were decent. The first one with the Tin Man had a classic Bing Crosby type style to it, so it was enjoyable, however the munchkin's songs overstayed its welcome.


Comedy: 6.2/10- There were a few scenes that I found humorous, although most of it lacked in humor.

Would I Watch This Again: Because it is a "classic," maybe many years from now.

Overall: 6.0/10- The Wizard of Oz is not intended for my demographic, because I never watched it as a kid and musicals are not my thing.  For what it is, the Wizard of Oz is not a bad kid's movie, however without the power of nostalgia there is not much there for older audiences, unless the songs are the major draw.

Closing comments: If you do still like the movie because you loved it as a kid, that's great, however for older audiences it does not hold up very well, other than the visuals.

Recommended for: Fantasy fans, Classic film fans, Musical fans,

Click here to check out more of my movie reviews.
 

If you want to contact us or have any questions please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

27 comments:

  1. Maybe it's just the nostalgia talking, (though there are a lot of movies I enjoyed when I was little that I can't stand now, and this isn't one of them) but the lighthearted corniness and silliness is all part of what I like so much about this movie. I'm not sure it was ever meant to be taken seriously...

    But I understand your not liking it if you never saw it as a child, and don't enjoy musicals. I never liked that munchkin song either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my point, if you enjoyed it as a kid, I can completely understand why you still enjoy it. I am glad that we agree about the munchkin song, it really annoyed to no end!

      -James

      Delete
  2. I saw it as a Kid, for my parents it was like me watching Star Wars with my kids. The coolest thing I remember about the movie was the change from black and white to color. I never watched the movie again. What was so important about the movie was the message that everyone should be aware there may be a man behind the curtain that cant match the act up front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent comparison between the films. One of the reasons why I never watched it when I was a kid was that my father did not like the movie at all. I agree, that was probably the best shot in the movie, such a great use of color.

      -James

      Delete
  3. To say that the only reason adults find this movie appealing is because of nostalgia seems rather dismissive to me. Like Sarah, there are plenty of movies that I loved as a child (and I mean loved, like I watched them all the time, so much so my parents threw them away and said we 'lost them') that, looking back, are terribly painful to watch. The Wizard of Oz is not one of them. It's a classic for a reason. It's a simple, sweet story that draws its source material from a surprisingly deep book. It deals with themes such as the importance of your cultural background, and there are many who believe (with good reason I think) that The Wizard of Oz was written to be a Populist fairy tail.

    If musicals aren't your thing, I get that. I have a brother who doesn't like them either, but the popularity of the Wizard of Oz is standing on a lot more than a simple nostalgia factor. Sure the movie makes you feel good, and it is lighthearted and silly, but it's also a great story. In this world that's becoming increasingly dark and pessimistic, I think we need more Wizard of Oz's.

    Just my two cents :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something to remember is that said that musical fans, particularly adult ones, will enjoy the film. Other than that, I will admit that the is a classic because of how it influenced other movies but it is not the type of movies that I enjoy, except for it being a classic, which I usually love.

      Thank you for your long comment and opinion, that is what reviews and movie debates are all about.

      -James

      Delete
    2. That's funny Mariah, when I was little The Lion King was one of my favorite movies and my mom didn't like us watching it so much, so my brother threw it away... Didn't help though, The Lion King is still one of my favorite movies. :D (Also, I agree with your comment)

      Delete
    3. You too I like The Lion King and much more a favorite than Wizard of Oz.

      Delete
  4. I never liked The Wizard of Oz even when I was a kid. It was always bizarre and annoying to me, but I used to watch it just for the flying monkey scene and the song, "Somewhere over the Rainbow".

    And you like the Adventures of Robin Hood too?! That's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see that we agree again about the movie.

      Yes, the Adventure Robin Hood is one of my favorite movies, it is such a classic! I have noticed that we like a lot of the same things, which is really cool!

      -James

      Delete
    2. It is!

      Ok...who's your favorite Doctor?

      Delete
    3. That is a tough question. I have to say I would give Matt Smith a slight edge over Tennant, however they where both fantastic. What about your favorite Doctor?

      -James

      Delete
    4. We agree yet again! Matt Smith just has the tiniest edge over David Tennant, but like you, I loved them both.

      Delete
    5. Wow, that is almost uncanny! We do have a lot of similar opinions.

      -James

      Delete
  5. I never saw this is a kid, so I only saw it within the past four years or thereabouts. While I like the main song (the classic one that they sing on the yellow brick road) and the story's idea (because it helped make Oz: The Great and Powerful) it's nothing special. I pretty much agree with everything you said. :) Including what you said about the Tin-Man/heart part. That is backwards!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great to see that we agree about the movie! :) The was kind of disappointing considering how everyone loves the movie, and I am glad you noticed the Tin-Man/heart part too. I was thinking that I was the only one.

      -James

      Delete
  6. Good review :)
    While I did watch the movie as a kid(and I read the book) and I do like(I had a lot of fun a couple of years ago incorperating it into a Christmas play I did with my cousins), after seeing the musical Wicked(which was superior, in my opinion), I don't like it as much as I used to. And I thought it was funny that a lot of people were scared of the Witch when she appeared at the beginning, but it never scared me when I watched it. I did like it, but I can see why it wouldn't be someone's thing.
    I need to rewatch it since it's been awhile...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought that was funny too about kids being afraid of the Witch because she was far from frightening, even if I did watch it as a kid. :) Thanks for understanding my point of view.

      -James

      Delete
  7. James, James, James...reading you found a few of the songs "decent" reminds me of when Roger Ebert said none of the songs from The Graduate were memorable. I agree that the Cowardly Lion's "King of the Forest" drags the film, but "Over the Rainbow" and "We're Off to See The Wizard", man, those are CLASSICS! If you found THOSE songs 'annoying', that...can't accept that.

    Wizard of Oz has one of the best scores/songs ever written for a film, but I disagree w/the notion that it's not for 'an older demographic' (ie. anyone over 20 under 60). Wizard of Oz holds up because when one is young, you see the optimism of what can be 'over the rainbow', and when is older, the longing for that time of innocence can be heartbreaking. There's a much richer, deeper film here than met your eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something important remember is that music is one of the most subjective forms of media, much more so than movies, therefore certain music genre only appeals to certain people. For me, songs in general are not my thing, orchestral music, and classic rock are the type of music I like, not the type of music the Wizard of Oz had. If I heard the songs outside of the movie, I would have like them more because, as I stated, musicals are not my thing at all. Singing in almost any movie is typically annoying to me because it is not the type of thing I like.

      I said it is for the older demographic if they watched it when they where kids or those who where impressed at the time by the effects. I did give it a solid rating of 6.0 though, which is not a good rating by any means. It is equal to a B- on your rating.

      Thanks Rick for the long comment; differing opinions is what reviewing is about.

      -James

      Delete
  8. I remember when I was younger getting freaked out by the witch.
    It's on my brother's and I worst movies ever list. :)
    And this is coming from someone who has watch (and still does) watch musicals which are good.

    God Bless,
    Vellvin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see someone else who dislikes the movie! :) Thanks Vellvin.

      -James

      Delete
  9. I'm not a huge WoO fan either, so I'm going to ask a semi-related question: are there any musicals you do like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joss Whedon's "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" is my favorite and only musical that I enjoy because the movie is hilarious and I actually liked the songs. Also there is "Interstella 5555," which I actually watched today, but it is not exactly a musical by most standards. Other than those two, musicals are not something I can sit through at all.

      -James

      Delete
  10. I find it a typical thing for men to dislike musicals. =) I think it's amusing..

    I just watched 'Oz Great and Powerful' last night. And though some people may consider it.. I don't know cheesy?, I really liked it. It's really good Pre-sequel and gives more character to the original Oz. You learn a lot about the Oz and the Witches, which makes the old one more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is especially true for me, since my mother was never a fan of musicals, and I do not have any sisters, so I have never had a reason to watch musicals. =)

      I agree, 'Oz Great and Powerful' was surprisingly good, I liked it more than the original Oz actually.

      -James

      Delete
    2. Oh well than yes, I'm sure you don't have any reason at all. =) No sisters, you poor thing! =D

      The old one has it's charms but so does the new one! I think I'd like anything James Franco plays in..

      Excited to hear your brother will be participating in the reviewing. ;)

      Delete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...