SEARCH MY BLOG

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Cumberbatch in Star Wars, and Star Trek and the Wolverine Reviews Upcoming.

Benedict Cumberbatch is rumored to up for a role in the new Star Wars films! Although he had denied that he is involved in the film, Cumberbatch has said that he wants a part and has discussed the idea with J.J. Abrams. Considering that they worked together on Into Darkness, the idea is not entirely out of the question. It was also announced that Tom Hiddleston is replacing Cumberbatch in Del Toro's film, Crimson Peak. According to reports, Crimson Peak and Star Wars Ep. 7 are scheduled to be filming at the same time, therefore some have spectulated that is why Cumberbatch has left the project, although he claims that he had no knowledge of when Star Wars was filming. Now that the possibility is out there, do we actutally want Cumberbatch to play a part in the new Star Wars film after playing such a big part in Star Trek? Rumors are that he would play the villain in the Star Wars film. While Cumberbatch is a brilliant actor, particularly in the Sherlock TV series and Into Darkness, should he really play the villain in Star Wars? If he where to be cast in the Star Wars film, I would much prefer him to play a hero, thus against type and therefore would not be compared to his Trek counterpart. However, I would much prefer Tom Hiddleston to play a protagonist in the Star Wars film, but that is another discussion entirely.
 
Last night I rented Star Trek: Into Darkness and watched it, which my Twitter followers already know. The other news is that my local theater finally got The Wolverine, so I am going to see it tonight or tomorrow after over a month of waiting. Therefore, reviews for both films are going to be coming tomorrow, Friday, or Monday, depending upon how long it takes me to review each film and what time I have the reviews finished. Depending on which day my reviews of the films are posted, my aforementioned Firefly post will be on the day that the review is not posted on. After the reviews, I shall continue with the posts from the Reader's Choice picks, which you can still vote on if you have not already. As you might remember, one of my best friends Jamie, already wrote a guest post review for Star Trek: Into Darkness, which you can see here.
So what are your thoughts about Cumberbatch in Star Wars? Please comment below and check back for my upcoming reviews.
 

If you want to contact us or have any questions please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

10 comments:

  1. I loved him in Star Trek Into Darkness, even if I was somewhat disappointed by the film. He was woefully underused in it, but if they play their cards right, he has a real chance to be an iconic villain in Star Wars. BUT, I dont think he will be in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since my mind can hardly handle the idea of a new Star Wars movie alone, it pretty much turns to scrambled egg when I try to comprehend Ben or Tom acting in it. In a way, it sounds really awesome but in another way it sounds like it's not a good idea at the same time. . . .

    Glad you saw Into Darkness, I can't wait to read your review for it. :)

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that part of the joy of the original movies was that it was not peppered with famous people. Whereas the prequels had a little bit of a "guess that celebrity guest star" thing going on, which got a little annoying sometimes. So I'd really rather not have people like Hiddleston and Cumberbatch in them, as they're already recognizable and come with previous-role baggage for viewers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would be cool for Benedict Cumberbatch to be in the new Star Wars films- and I agree, I think it would be better for him to play the hero than the villain since many of his roles have him playing not-so-nice characters. Tom Hiddleston being in Star Wars would be awesome as well!! :D(and me, of course, but that's another story XD).
    Glad you enjoyed Star Trek: Into Darkness. I haven't seen it just yet, but I hope to rent it soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm watching Into Darkness tonight, and I'm about to pop!!! I absolutely LOVED the first Star Trek, and so I can't wait for this one.

    I think Benedict Cumberbatch would be very good in Star Wars...he's good in anything, but I do think it might be a little awkward if he's playing the bad guy again in another "Star" movie. And hearing that Tom Hiddleston might be in Star Wars has me utterly and completely THRILLED! I mean, Tom and Benedict possibly in the same movie?! Their combined awesomeness would make Star Wars even better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As good as Benedict is as an actor, I think he will get overexposed, if he acts in Star Wars too. I think he needs to alternate his blockbuster roles with relatively low profile roles.

    Like how Chris Bale does. For every Batman movie that comes out, he does a character role.

    B2B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cumberbatch is an excellent actor, Star Wars would be lucky to have him in any capacity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm severely torn between loving the idea of two of my favorite actors in Star Wars, and agreeing they are too well known and it would bring previous film baggage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen him in anything, except Smaug in the hobbit trailer but that does not really count.
    Not sure if I would want him in star wars though.
    PS, Could you revue the Percy Jackson Movies?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to see Benedict Cumberbatch in Star Wars, but I agree, it'd be great if he played a hero. And he plays so many serious roles, it would be cool to see him play a more fun character, closer to his real life personality.

    ReplyDelete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...