SEARCH MY BLOG

Monday, March 2, 2015

Coming Soon: March 2015

Hello readers of J&J Productions! Welcome to another iteration of Coming Soon. Crazy to think we are now in the THIRD month of 2015...I feel like the year just began. Anyway, let's recap February and remember to click the titles for the Rath's Review of each!

Jupiter Ascending: You certainly can't deny that the Wachowski's have ambition, I just wish it would have resulted in a better film with some more innovative action. At least it looked really good! (Rath's Review Score: 6.5/10)
Seventh Son: Quickly being called by some the "worst of the year". It certainly didn't look all that enthralling and it turns out that the end product was something that was quite lacking. I'm glad I skipped this one.
Fifty Shades of Grey: It may have been one of the more awkward trips to the theater I've ever taken, but I actually came away from 50 Shades somewhat impressed, believe it or not. I read the book a long time ago and I found it to be garbage. Luckily, thanks to some humor, great cinematography, and an awesome soundtrack, the movie turned out to be slightly less horrendous. (RRS: 6/10)
Kingsman: The Secret Service: If you were a reader of last month's post you'd know that I love this film. I loved it so much I even saw it a second time in February and low and behold, it was just as good as the first time. (RRS: 9/10)
Hot Tub Time Machine 2: I've been able to skip seeing a TRULY atrocious film for a while now (it's been almost two years since Movie 43 and I'm still recovering). Unfortunately my luck ran out. Hot Tub Time Machine is extremely unfunny, boring, and honestly, a tad annoying. The only reason it got a point was because of the incredibly attractive female it features. (RRS: 1/10)
Focus:Will Smith's latest is cool, fun, and funny and I really enjoyed my time with it. It's a one time view for sure, but a great one at that (RRS: 8.5/10)
The Lazarus Effect: I figured this would be a stinker but THIS bad of a stinker? Makes me wonder how they got the star power of the cast to actually sign on. Critics have been blasting it for being dull and cliche, among other things.

Most Disappointing: Jupiter Ascending
Most Surprising: Focus
Worst Movie: Hot Tub Time Machine 2 by an incredibly wide margin
Best Movie: Can I say Kingsman again? Yes? Ok then...Kingsman

Now let's check out what films are headed your way in March. Remember to click the titles for their trailers!



Why It's Worth Seeing: For starters, it's from Neill Blomkamp and I've loved both his previous films, despite what people may say about Elysium. For starters, he is superb at filming action and he also is able to create realistic characters in these future worlds.
What Could Go Wrong: Chappie started off as a comedy, or so the early reports would indicate. The trailers make it seem much more serious in tone and I worry that the tone of the film might be a little uneven. There are signs of it in the trailer already.



Why It's Worth Seeing: Vince Vaughn needs a win sooner or later...could it be this comedy? It features a stellar cast and fun premise. The trailers are funny enough to warrant a viewing I feel and it could be one of those films that has some smart marketing and doesn't give away all its best jokes in the trailer.
What Could Go Wrong: Vince Vaughn hasn't caught a break in a while and it seems as if he isn't choosing the best scripts lately. The trailers indicate that while this one might get "crazy" it might just not be all that funny in the process (looking at you Project X).


Why It's Worth Seeing: Disney has been putting out some quality films lately and these live-action versions of their classics are always fun to watch. Early reviews indicate that this one is indeed, pretty magical.
What Could Go Wrong: It's a story we have all seen before...will Disney try to change the tale like they did in last year's decent Maleficent? I worry that it might be a bit of a bore.



Why It's Worth Seeing: A Liam Neeson movie always has potential to be something special...or at least somewhat entertaining (think last year's Non-Stop)
What Could Go Wrong: I'm not sure if Neeson is desperate for scripts or what, but his last few films have left something to be desired. Taken 3 was pretty forgettable and A Walk Among the Tombstones was decent. But we certainly haven't had another The Grey for quite sometime now. To me, Run All Night doesn't look like the reprieve I seek.



Why It's Worth Seeing: The books actually go to some pretty dark places and book two is where it starts that path. While certainly no Hunger Games, The Divergent Series is one of the better YA novels out there. If the movie can distance itself from the corny love story and focus on the larger plot, it should do fine.
What Could Go Wrong: I heard the first one was good, but not great. Either way, it's hard to see something going terribly wrong with this one. It's a solid story with a strong cast. That being said, I don't see anything that would push it into the "must see" category.


Why It's Worth Seeing: Sean Penn decides to try on Liam Neeson's shoes with the team that was behind the original Taken. The film looks to be gritty and interesting at the very least.
What Could Go Wrong: I don't have a good gut feeling about this one. It feels desperate coming from Penn and Javier Bardem (the movie's villain), especially considering the March release date. This could always be a quick paycheck film for them.



Why It's Worth Seeing: It's Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart, two of the funniest guys on the planet right now. Not to mention, the premise is ripe for hilarious jokes and situations. Also, I think Will Ferrell is at his best when with a comedic partner (i.e. Step Brothers and The Other Guy). Hart and him will most likely make a hilarious team.
What Could Go Wrong: The screenplay seems pretty solid from the trailer so I'm going to say the script on this one. If too many of the jokes are written out, it will stifle the improv nature of these two guys and be much less funny because of it.


Must See (in order): Get Hard, Chappie
On My Radar: Unfinished Business, Cinderella, Run All Night, Insurgent
Predicted Duds: The Gunman


There's March! See you next month when the furious blockbuster season begins ;-) As always, I'd be really appreciative if you came and followed me through Blogger at RATH'S REVIEWS and like me on Facebook HERE! I follow-for-follow 100%. Thanks again!   

Hey everyone this is James, please be sure to check back tomorrow for the second part of my Top 10 Comedies list, and you can click here to check out the first part of the list.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...