SEARCH MY BLOG

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Top 13 Movies of 2014: Part 1

With so many highly anticipated movies coming out in 2015 like Star Wars: Ep. 7 and The Avengers: Age of Ultron, many are neglecting the upcoming 2014 lineup. Even though it might not look nearly as impressive, there are several new movies that are coming out in 2014 that will hopefully not disappoint. For my list, these picks are strictly the movies that I am most excited to see and I hope to see most of them in theaters. 2014 will undoubtedly feature smaller movies that have yet to be promoted very much or ones that will be coming out in late 2014, which I have not heard much about, therefore most of these picks are bigger blockbuster movies and ones that are based on previously established proprieties and sequel. Please do not forget to enter my giveaway! Click here to enter it.





At Number 13: Godzilla
Before the awesome new trailer hit the internet, Godzilla was not on my radar of must see movies of 2014, but wow, that trailer makes the movie look a lot better than expected. Considering that Bryan Cranston, Ken Watanabe, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson are all staring the film there is hope that America will want to see another Kaiju flick. Also, director Gareth Edwards is new when it comes to blockbusters, maybe he will deliver the goods. 

At Number 12: How to Train Your Dragon 2
Since the first How to Train Your Dragon turned out to be such a surprisingly great movie, How to Train Your Dragon 2 will hopefully improve upon the previous entry. The trailer suggests a slightly darker tone and more action this time around with Game of Thrones actor Kit Harington voicing the main villain.

At Number 11: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Rise of the Planet of the Apes turned out to be one of the better movies of 2011, and let us hope that Andy Serkis will do it again in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. The trailer actually impressed me quite a bit, and considering that I am a fan of the original fan, I am excited to see where this apes film goes.


At Number 10: Big Hero 6
Big Hero 6 is Marvel's first animated feature by Disney animation. In the comics, Big Hero 6 is about a superhero team formed by the Japanese government, but in the film, the team will be set in an amalgam of Tokyo and San Francisco. Beyond a short clip of the city that it will take place in, not much of Big Hero 6 has been revealed. Considering that Disney Animation is coming off of two movies that rival even Pixar's critical success, Wreck-Ralph and Frozen, I have high hopes that the combination of Marvel and Disney Animation will result in one heck of an animated film. In addition, since Big Hero 6 is set in Japanese, the comic is heavily influenced by Japanese animation (aka anime) and manga, which could, if the film is successful, lead to anime becoming a little more mainstream as unlikely as that may be. Below is the test footage for the film, although no fully rendered character models have been released.


At Number 9: The Lego Movie
The Lego Movie is going to be awesome! If the movie is as good as the trailers, we are in for a nice treat. I loved Legos as a kid, and I am sure just about everyone loves Legos, so the movie has a lot riding on it since we will also have several DC characters make appearances including Batman, who looks as though he will be hilarious! The Lego Movie will likely be the first animated film that I will see in theaters since I was a kid.


At Number 8: Interstellar
Christopher Nolan returns to directing with his first original film since Inception, Interstellar. Reportedly, Interstellar is about space and time-travel, but you would not know that from the teaser that hit the internet a weeks ago. With Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway set to star in the film, hopefully Nolan can impress us again. Right now, it is the second biggest wild card of the year for me after Big Hero 6.


At Number 7: Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
Now, 98% if not 100% of you are probably wonder what Evangelion: 3.0 is about. The way to describe the film is that it the thinking man's Pacific Rim. Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo is the third film in the Rebuild of Evangelion series that remakes the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series with several key differences to the original. Technically, the film was released last year, however it is not until later this month that the movie will have a limited theatrical run in America. Unfortunately however, the chances that a theater within reasonable distance will actually be showing the film is slim, which means I will have to wait until later to watch the movie. Sometime in the future expect reviews of the first two movies in the series as well as a review of the original series. 

Are you looking forward to any of the movies on my list? What are some of your most anicipated movies of 2014? Please comment below.


If you want to contact us or have any questions please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

14 comments:

  1. I am REALLY excited for Godzilla, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, How to Train your Dragon, and Legos. I didn't think there was anyone in the world who liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I really enjoyed it and got all excited when I saw there was to be a second. That is one I will have to go to alone though, since I highly doubt I could get my family to after their dislike of the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Rise of the Planet of the Apes was liked by critics, but yes that movie is going to be great! By the way, have you seen the original Planet of the Apes? I recommend it if you like classic movies.

      -James

      Delete
  2. Great list so far! :D Looking forward to what else you have on the list. I agree, the Lego film looks hilarious(To the Batmobile!*explosion* to the Invisible Jet!*explosion*). The two anime films look interesting as well. I'd go see Interstellar, but as my book series has that word in the title, I want to wait until my series is partly published before seeing it so people won't think I am copying it.
    My most anticipated films of the year are- The Hobbit: There and Back Again, Mockingjay part 1, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, and How to Train Your Dragon 2(I'm probably forgetting something).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D I hope the Lego movie is as funny as the trailer would suggest, because that scene alone is positively hysterical! Actually, Big Hero Six isn't anime. It will have a similar animation style to Wreck-It Ralph or Frozen. I added the test footage from the film to the post now, but I hope the style is at least influenced by anime. From the description of Interstellar, it sounds a lot different than your books, so hopefully that won't be a problem. :) Those other movies are on the second half of my list. :)

      -James

      Delete
  3. To be perfectly honest, I don't really know what's all coming out in 2014 besides Marvel Movies (which is usually just about what I usually watch in theaters). I'm looking forward to Captain America: the Winter Solider, which is surprisingly because I wasn't that excited at first when I saw the trailer, but the closer it gets the more excited I get. I'm really looking forward to Amazing Spider-Man 2, because that just looks a.w.e.s.o.m.e.
    Looking forward to see the next part of your top 2014 movies!

    -Tegan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Marvel movies are on the second half of my list, but yes, I am really looking forward to seeing those movies in theater. :)

      -James

      Delete
  4. Of these, the only one I definitely want to see right now How to Train Your Dragon 2, hopefully it won't disappoint! Of course, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is pretty interesting just because of Andy Serkis and Gary Oldman. And I know absolutely nothing about Interstellar, but somehow I imagine I'll be wanting to see it... I wonder why... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let's hope HTTYD2 does not disappoint! I wonder why, maybe it has something to do with some guy named Christopher Nolan. ;)

      -James

      Delete
  5. Godzilla & Dawn of the Planet of the Apes look really interesting, Lego movie could be the surprise of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you there. There are a lot of sci-fi movies with potential this year.

      -James

      Delete
  6. A friend of mine is actually recommending me the Rebuild of Evangelion, but I'm a little doubtful because it gives me this impression that it will focus on the action and little on substance. But I guess I'll have to check it out soon too, since it's still Evangelion after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would also recommend the Rebuild movies. The first one is essentially a retelling of the first six or seven episodes with stunning animation, but the second one takes some unexpected turns. Actually, the movies have a lot of character development and substance, even if the first half of the first movie feels a little rushed.

      -James

      Delete
    2. I see. Then I guess I really have to check it out then! Thanks.

      Delete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...