SEARCH MY BLOG

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Avengers Character Analysis Part 2.

Here is Part 2 of The Avengers Character Analysis, Click Here. to read part 1 of the the Analysis.

Black Widow
Of all the characters Black Widow is the most improved. In Iron Man 2 she was cool but she did not have much back story. In The Avengers however, she kicked SO much butt in the movie! She was given a back story closer to the comics and that she is Russian was a great. I do not think I am the only person that wants a Black Widow movie or even better, a S.H.I.E.L.D. movie with Black Widow, Nick Fury and Hawkeye. Before The Avengers I was not sure if Scarlett Johansson was the right actress to Black Widow, although she did look the part, but in The Avengers she really stepped up her acting. Under the direction of Joss Whedon, who is known for strong female character, Black Widow became a formidable force on the team. In the action scenes, she showed that she can hold her own against the aliens and she ended up closing the portal. Her costume and new look were great. Overall I loved her in the movie and I hope she is in more movies.

Quotes:
"This is just like Budapest all over again."
"I don't see how that's a party."



Hawkeye
Out of all the characters Hawkeye had the least screen time but that really was not a bad thing since he was not a main character. However, Hawkeye did have enough character moments and building to make the character work. He was used in the battle excellently and proved that he is useful in a fight, unlike what some had predicted. His relationship with Black Widow was more professional or fatherly not romantic like the comics, which was good because a romantic subplot would have made the plot over stuffed. The costume was translated in the big screen very well. It had some of the colors that the original costume had but looked very practical, although it was influenced by the Ultimate version of the comic.

Quotes:
"Captain, it would be my genuine pleasure."


Nick Fury
While I am still a fan of the original white Nick Fury since it is original to the comic book. Although Sam L. Jackson was awesome! Sam L. Jackson makes everything that he is in better, that is just a fact. An interesting fact is that the the Ultimate comic book version, which I will probably explain more about in a later post, of Nick Fury was actually based on Sam L. Jackson's appearance. So you really could not have a better actor than Sam L. Jackson to play the role. When use he used Agent Phil Coulson's blood covered Captain America trading cards to give the team "a push." and then it was revealed that Fury added the blood to the cards, it added another interesting layer to the character.

Quotes:
"I recognise the council has made a decision, but given that it's a stupid-a-- decision, I've elected to ignore it."


Agent Phil Coulson
As I said above there are major spoilers! If you have not seen The Avengers go watch it right and come back read this post.
One most shocking plot twist in The Avengers was the death of Agent Phil Coulson. He was in the first Iron Man movie. But he was created for the movies and is not original to the comic book (he has recently been made into a character in the comics). He is a very likable character and adds great humor without making it seem out of place. In the beginning of the movie Coulson was ever better and more likable, which made his death even more impactful. The decision to kill off Agent Coulson was a very bold move by Joss Whedon but it made The Avengers much more serious. Although I really liked the character and his interaction with Captain America was great and hilarious. Killing him off did make the movie better and added a more serious tone to the film. There is small chance that Coulson did not die and that was a L.M.D. (Life Model Decoy), which


Quotes:
"I gotta say, it's an honour to meet you, officially. I sort of met you, I mean, I watched you while you were sleeping. I mean, I was, I was present while you were unconscious, from the ice. You know it's really just a, just a huge honor to have you on board."

"Thor: We on Asgard pretend that we are more advanced, but we, we come here battling like Bilgesnipe.
Agent Phil Coulson: Like what?
Thor: The Bilgesnipe, you know; huge, scaly, big antlers. You don't have those?
Agent Phil Coulson: Don't think so.
Thor: They are repulsive, and they trample everything in their path.



Maria Hill
Cobie Smulders as SHIELD Agent Maria Hill. Maria Hill is second in command to Nick Fury of SHIELD. The character will be much more important later if they decide to go down the Marvel Civil War route, but that seems unlikely at this time. Although she was not used much, the parts she have were good.

Loki
After coming off an excellent performance as Loki in Thor, Tom Hiddleston delivers again with an even better performance than his previous performance. He stole almost every scene that was in. Loki is a very unique and multi-dimensional villain. Tom Hiddleston has actually made the character better in the movies than he was in the comics, which almost never happens. Loki is a difficult character to bring to the big screen but Hiddleston did it perfectly. He played him as a tragic victim of circumstance character that was is not too far from redemption. One of the things that The Avengers got right was that Loki is a trickster that can control the mind. But in the comics Loki is behind-the-scenes villain, hopefully in the next Thor movie, he will be the mastermind behind the plot against Thor. Loki and Thor have the ultimate "Sibling Rivalry", which is makes for great conflict.


Quotes:
Loki: [Touches his Tesseract staff to Stark, which only taps against Stark's arc reactor with no effect] That usually works...
Tony: Yeah, sometimes it has complications.

"You will kneel before me!"
"I am Loki, of Asgard. And I am burdened with glorious purpose."
"Are you ever *not* going to fall for that?"


Be sure to check back here tomorrow for the Top 25 Avengers list.
If you want to contact us or have any question please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

7 comments:

  1. I agree, Black Widow was a really cool character; I also wish she would have her own film where we could see how she became who she is and how she met Hawkeye. I'm also very glad their wasn't a romance sub-plot; the movie was definitely better without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loki is arguably the best villain anyone has written or performed. I mean, he's great! You might say Vader is still the best, but I think that due to Vader being subordinate to Palpatine as opposed to Loki making his own decisions, there's a case that Loki, who is definitely one of the most memorable, along with Vader, is actually the outright best (most villainous)ever. Does the ant have a quarrel with the boot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool post. All the characters are awesome. XDD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, totally agree! Everyone's characters were brought out perfectly and even the sad decisions like SPOILER killing Coulson END OF SPOILER was well played. Everyone also did any amazing job acting; I couldn't believe it when I read somewhere else that several people thought Tom Hiddelston gave a dry performance. I thought he was top notch and he's my second favorite villain ever. I can't wait to see what he'll do in Thor 2!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Shena Tokala: Agree. Thanks for the comment. :D

    @JT/King Valun: I still have to say Vade since he is my favorite character not just villian of all-time. But Loki is a close second. Also great quote.

    @Kayla: Thanks. :D

    @Jamie: I heard that from other reviews and obvious those people do not know what great acting is. It really does not make any sense why anyone would say. It makes me angry!

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Black Widow...mostly because I can totally relate to her with her super-flexibility and red hair. :D I can't believe that some people say that Tom Hiddelston did a poor job! I think he did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. But don't we? You have to streamline schooling so little ones have the fundamental vocabulary? to interact. So, for that sake streamlining information, of course you're likely
    to become autocratic. Now where I feel your point is quite poignant is in higher college.
    By that time they need to possess a simple vocabulary. At that stage, we should be educating them the way to argue their
    points.

    my web-site: smells that attract men to women

    ReplyDelete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...