SEARCH MY BLOG

Monday, June 2, 2014

Top 100 Movies: Part 1

After long hours of debating and shifting around my list, it is finally time to post my Top 100 of All-Time! You may remember more than a year ago I posted my Top 100 Movie, a list that was a couple of years in the making at the time, and since then, I have seen many new movies that make the list, and my opinion of previous picks has changed, thus making the new list almost entirely different than the first one. Since posting my list, I have managed to watch many of the so called "classics" such as The Godfather, Citizen Kane, The Shawshank Redemption, and Goodfellas, some of which deserve to be held as classics, while others are overrated. However, there are still quite a few classics that I have yet to see including: Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, and Memento, so do not expect to see them on the list. Know that these are my favorite movies, which means it is entirely subjective to my personal tastes and what I like. For the movies on this list that I have reviewed, you can click on the link in the title or on the link below the written section to read my review, and I plan to post reviews for the movies on the list that I have yet to review in the near future. Also know that this is a list of 100 great movies, so even the lower movies on the list are highly recommended. Now, without further ado, here is the beginning of my Top 100 Movies. 

Warning: Several movies on this list are rated “R” and are intended for mature audiences.

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial continues to surprise me by how much I enjoyed it. Typically, other similar movies annoy me, but Steven Spielberg’s filmmaking mastery is nearly unparalleled, and E.T. remains one of his many classics. Also, there is a hilarious Star Wars reference!

At Number 99: The Maltese Falcon
Did Humphrey Bogart even make bad movies after The Maltese Falcon? Bogart is the best at playing the role of a detective, and he is superb as Sam Spade. Although the ending does not entirely make sense, the rest of the mystery is intriguing and deserves it status as a mystery classic.

At Number 98: Wreck-It Ralph
The only 3D animated film on the list, Wreck-It Ralph is one of those rare animated films that really worked for me. For gamers like myself, Wreck-It Ralph is packed with so many references and in-jokes that even the most hardcore gaming fanatics will have to watch the film multiple times to "Catch 'Em All!" Despite the gaming references, the film still appealed to many non-gamers, even if it was robbed by the significantly inferior Brave at the Oscars.

At Number 97: Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park changed filmmaking forever with its revolutionary CGI effects, yet it never allows the effects to overshadow the rest of the movie. Despite the use of CGI, Jurassic Park still used a lot of brilliant practical effects, all of which hold up better than most special effects. Thanks to Steven Spielberg's unmatched direction, Jurassic Park is the perfect example of an effects film done right. It is exactly what it needs to be, a fun and thrilling summer Blockbuster packed with stunning visual effects and entertainment.

At Number 96: The Princess Bride
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.” Despite the name, The Princess Bride was not the "chick flick" that I expected it to be when I first watched it. In fact, I found it "inconvincible!" how hilarious and clever the film and dialogue was. While potentially too corny and silly for some viewers, The Princess Bride walked on the fine line of absurdity perfectly. As many have said before, The Princess Bride is one of the more quotable films ever made.

At Number 95: The Magnificent Seven
Based on the Japanese film, Seven Samurai, which you will see later on this list, The Magnificent Seven is not only a worthy retelling of the classic Japanese story, but one of the best westerns of all-time. From the all-star cast to the fun action and adventure, there is not much to complain about with The Magnificent Seven.  

At Number 94: Rambo: First Blood
First Blood has been one of my favorite action movies for as long as I can remember, and it still holds up well today. Sylvester Stallone plays the mentally scared Rambo perfectly, and he even made the brilliant decision to cut much of his character's dialogue from the film, allowing the other characters do the talking. Even though the sequels are more like the standard clichéd 1980s far, First Blood set the benchmark that many action flicks continue to strive for today.


At Number 93: Perfect Blue
If Alfred Hitchcock and Darren Aronofsky collaborated on an animated film, Perfect Blue would likely be the result. Perfect Blue is eerie, suspenseful, mysterious, and intense, and it will leave you on the edge-of-your-seat throughout the 85 minute run time. Originally the film was set be a live-action adaptation of the Perfect Blue novel, but due to an earthquake, the production studio was forced to make it into an animated movie, which worked out for the best in the end since it launched the career of the late, great Satoshi Kon. Additionally, Darren Aronofsky has even said the film made an impact on his career as a filmmaker, and that it inspired some of his work.

At Number 92: The Untouchables
One of the best movies based on real historical events, The Untouchables follows the story of Eliot Ness taking down Al Copone's criminal empire. Sean Connery's Oscar winning performance was the core of the movie's success, and Kevin Costner also does an excellent job in one of his first breakthrough roles. All in all, The Untouchables is an all too often underrated film that does not receive the attention that it deserves.

At Number 91: The Big Sleep
Although the film's mystery is overly complex and does not make a lot of sense in the end, it is the snappy dialogue and banter that really makes The Big Sleep timeless. Bogart's and Bacall's on screen chemistry is nearly unmatched in the film! They just do not make mystery/detective films like they use to anymore; it is a real shame.

Please let me know what you think of what I have posted thus far in the comments, and check back soon for the next part of my list and my review of the Maltese Falcon tomorrow.

If you want to contact us or have any questions please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

10 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued to know which classics you think are overrated. On this batch I see you've made good choices. The Big Sleep is a film which no one seems to understand, and I found Princess Bride to be a movie aware of its own sense of silliness. Magnificent Seven is a rare remake that works. So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At some point I will post full reviews of those "classics" after my Top 100 if finished, but you will one or two of them on my list. Yeah, I know what you mean about The Big Sleep. I watched some behind-the-scenes stuff about it, and when Howard Hawks was making the movie, he asked the writer of the novel to explain who the killer was, and he did not even know! But the movie is still tons of fun. Princess Bride's self-awareness is one of the reasons why I enjoyed it so much. I am not the biggest comedy fan, but I do enjoy good satire. To think of it, Magnificent Seven is probably the best remake ever, even if it does not top the original. Thanks Rick!

      -James

      Delete
  2. Great list so far! :) I also love the movies The Princess Bride(SO funny!), Jurassic Park, and Wreck it Ralph. A lot of these other films seem really good and are ones I want to watch :)
    Looking forward to the rest of the list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I really think you would all of the movies on the list thus far, especially ET since it is a classic. :D

      -James

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! :) Thanks! I actually have seen ET(I watched it back when I was younger).

      Delete
  3. YAY it is here!!! Great beginning, I love the look of your post! I'll comment on each movie since you were nice enough to do that on my posts!

    I'm still surprised by how much you love ET; although I cannot argue that it is a classic, I was a little bored with it personally.

    I have The Maltese Falcon in my Netflix DVD queue and am excited to meet Sam Spade when it eventually get here!!

    Wreck-It Ralph is one of my most favorite animated movies of all time! I will forever be mad that Brave took the Oscar that year. *frowning intensifies before erupting into a poof of spark and ash*

    Jurassic Park was a good movie, I liked watching it and understanding all the references I'd seen to it elsewhere. Lol!

    The Princess Bride was too corny for my liking, which makes me sad because now I'm the odd man out. lol, I'm glad you liked it though!

    The Magnificent Seven was a great movie; the plot transfers perfectly to a western setting!!

    And you know I adore First Blood! :D

    Perfect Blue sounds like you. ohmygosh that rhymed.

    Would I like the Untouchables? I have only heard of it briefly so I don't know that much about it.

    And I have the Big Sleep in my Netflix DVD queue as well, I think I'll like it!!!! Yay!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the long comment Jamie. ;)

      Considering my low expectations going into ET, I am still surprised that I like it so much, but it was funny and I really like Spielberg's movies.

      Great! I recommend that you try and watch Maltese Falcon before the Big Sleep since it is kind of the original noir flick.

      Yeah, I will never stop being mad about Brave beating for the Oscar!

      Jurassic Park is the type that is a lot better if you watched it as a kid like I did, which is one of the reasons I liked it so much. :)

      Lol! That did rhym! Of the anime films that I have seen, I think Perfect Blue is one that you would enjoy. It is psychological horror.

      The Untouchables is a more fun, albeit still serious, take about the guys taking down Al Capone, si I think you would enjoy it for the most part. However, I would recommend some of those other movies I mentioned in the past more. :)

      -James

      Delete
  4. I have seen almost all of these and I loved them too! The Maltese Falcon is one of my all-time favorite films. E.T. and Jurassic Park have been favorites of mine for as long as I can remember, since I basically grew up with both of them and love them to death to this day. And I love The Big Sleep, Wreck-It Ralph, and Perfect Blue a lot too, they are all very good too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I am glad you like most of these! I wish that I watched ET when I was a kid, but Jurassic Park was one of my favorites ever since I was as well. :) I did know you watched Perfect Blue. If you have not already seen it, I recommend Paprika. It is by the same guy who directed Perfect Blue. It is like Inception but anime.

      -James

      Delete
  5. Great list James look forward to your complete tally. You caught up on some great classics, and yes you need to see Fight Club and if its not on your list True Romance

    ReplyDelete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...