SEARCH MY BLOG

Friday, November 22, 2013

Doctor Who: An Unearthly Child Review.

Almost fifty years ago on 23 November 1963 a British television series named Doctor Who premiered with the episode, "An Unearthly Child," which is what I am reviewing today in honor of the series' 50th Anniversary.

"An Unearthly Child," the original pilot episode of Doctor Who that premiered almost 50 years ago. To get my Doctor Who fix while waiting on the 50th Anniversary, I decided to try and watch a few of the old Doctor Who episodes. Since the old Doctor Who seasons are never shown in America, this is one of the few episodes that I have seen of the old Doctor Who series, however I was able to find full episodes on Daily Motion, albeit in poor quality. Does the Doctor's first adventure hold up today? Additionally, since few readers have actually seen this episode, this will not give away any big spoilers, although there is not a lot to spoiler about it.

"An Unearthly Child" is a four part story arc consisting of four 30 minute episodes. The first starts with two school teachers, who are suspicious of a teenage girl who is incredibly smart but occasionally talks as if she is from the future. Long story short, the girl is the Doctor's granddaughter and the teachers follow her to the TARDIS. Also she gave the TARDIS, its name.

The first episode of the arc was quite interesting and entertaining to see the show's origin and I would probably give it a 8/10, mostly for being the first episode and overall well made. However, the second, third, and fourth episodes felt severely lacking. In those episodes the Doctor and companions inadvertently get stuck sometime in the past with cavemen trying to make fire and unfortunately, this is where the story arc goes downhill. It is terribly corny and poorly acted by the cavemen. Normally classic sci-fi is my thing, but it was just too low quality in story for me to consider it all that great, although that was what I had expected from the show's first episode.

Now to focus on the cast. It was fascinating to see William Hartnell as the Doctor and how much the character has changed over the last 50 years and he has certainly changed a great deal. In this, he believes humans to be inferior and he cares little for them. I assume he later becomes fond of the human race as the series continues. The Doctor's granddaughter, Susan, is a likeable character and well acted by Carole Ann Ford. Jacqueline Hill and William Russell were decent as the unsuspecting companions of the Doctor. All of the cavemen characters were terribly acted. Even though they are suppose to be dumb cavemen, they were laughably bad.

Overall: 7.0/10- Not a terrible start by the standards of the era, but a terribly good one either. For Doctor Who fans, who have seen all of the episodes of the recent series and are wanting for more Who, I recommend checking this four part story arc out, mostly for its historical significance. 



If you want to contact us or have any questions please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

8 comments:

  1. Great review! I have yet to see any classic Who, but I want to at some point(especially Tom Baker), so I'll have to give this a try sometime.
    P.S. - I'm hoping to get the 50th Anniversary later this coming week! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is the only classic Who story arc I have seen, but I also want to watch some Tom Baker episodes.
      Awesome! So, are you buying it on DVD or something?

      -James

      Delete
    2. You're welcome, and thanks! :D No, since it won't be coming out for another couple of weeks, but since my Nana has BBC America, I asked if she could record it for me :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting, I was kinda wondering what the first episodes were about. Good to hear your thoughts on it though.

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first episodes are odd and cheesy, but I would recommend giving it a watch once you catch up with the series.

      -James

      Delete
  3. I gave An Unearthly Child a 7/10 overall. The first episode really is brilliant: building on one mystery after another to that great climax of the first dematerialization of the TARDIS to a strange new world. Sadly, the caveman story was a letdown from the great first episode.

    Having seen all Classic Who stories released on DVD from An Unearthly Child to the Third Doctor's "Inferno", for the First Doctor I would recommend the stories The Aztecs and The Time Meddler (10/10). Also look for the two-part Edge of Destruction (aka Inside the Spaceship) or Dalek Invasion of Earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction: the last Classic Story I saw was Terror of the Autons.

      Delete
    2. It seems that we are on the same page concerning the episode. The first episode was fantastic, and the story just went in a downwards spiral after that.

      Thank you Rick for the recommendations. After I catch up with The Walking Dead, I will try and see what Classic Who episodes are on Amazon Prime.

      -James

      Delete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...