SEARCH MY BLOG

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Doctor Who: Blink Review.

"Whatever you do, don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck." Blink, the classic Doctor Who episode introducing one of the Doctor's best villains, the Weeping Angels. Since there are many new Doctor Who fans reading this blog now, it seemed like a good time to review a classic Doctor Who episode after re-watching it. "Blink" is considered by many to be one of, if not, the best Doctor Who episode ever made, and while it is not my absolute favorite, because would be impossible, it is certainly one of the best. Those who dislike the more recent episodes of the series by Steven Moffat should not forget that he actually wrote "Blink".
For a Doctor Who episode, it probably has the least amount of the Doctor. "Blink" takes more of a horror approach in terms of story and tone. A Doctor Who episode can be just about anything, ranging from fun adventure to suspenseful horror, and "Blink" demonstrates how versatile and unique it can be. While it the episode is far from scary or terrifying, it is very suspenseful and leaves you on the edge-of-your-seat throughout. It is almost strange that the episode that lean towards horror like the "Empty Child" and "Silence in the Library" are the most memorable. Even six years later I can clearly remember everything that I did the night when the episode premiered and nearly everything about the episode, it was that memorable.  
The Weeping Angles have to be one of the most unique and original monsters/villains ever created. Everything in the episode was explained enough to make sense, yet never felt exposition heavy. The two main characters of the episode, Sally and Larry, had good charisma and believability, which made it easier to like the characters. On side note: It would be great if Sally and Larry were to make another appearance in the series. Thanks to my cyber friend Shena Tokala for coming up with the idea.
Also the episode has one of my favorite Doctor Who quotes ever:
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

Overall: 10/10- "Blink" is a perfect episode of Doctor Who, introducing the Doctor's most unique enemy yet. Not only is it one of the Doctor Who episodes ever made, it is among the best television ever created, and remember, "Whatever you do, don't blink."





If you want to contact us or have any questions please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

18 comments:

  1. Great review! :D I agree, Blink was a wonderful episode!! :D I loved how it was created, and the characters were all really well written and likable. While not my tip top favorite, it is definitely among my favorites, and was actually the first Doctor Who episode I watched(I watched part of it at a friends house). And yes, I love the quotes in it XD Especially the one about Time and the don't blink one :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad episode to start with. :) Anything I need to explain how time works, I always quote the Doctor. :D

      -James

      Delete
  2. This is one of my favourites as well. When I started it I didn't think I would like it because the Doctor was barely in it, but it had a great story and characters and was very well written.
    This one is the reason I stare at statues now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard not to stare at statues since watching that episode.

      -James

      Delete
  3. This is one of the episodes I am looking forward to seeing the most. My best friend loved this episode and Steven Moffat was the reason why he wanted to give Sherlock a try. :) I suppose I shall have to gather up my fangirl sadness about Rose and move on into Season Three to see this-- it is in Season Three, right? :)

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steven Moffat is a brilliant writer, making amazing episodes of both Doctor Who and Sherlock. Keep clam and watch more Doctor Who. :)

      -James

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, yes. I think Blink probably ties with Silence in the Library and Smith and Jones as my favorite Tennant episodes. The Angels are *definitely* my favorite Doctor Who villains, and I love Carey Mulligan/Sally Sparrow! But you totally didn't mention her and DI Shipton -- the best five mintue love story ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silence in the Library is one of my favorite episodes too, and it was also written my Moffat. The Angels my favorite Doctor Who villain as well, so creepy. Oh yeah, I had forgotten about them.

      -James

      Delete
  5. I admit, the Weeping Angels are creepy in my opinion- very creepy, one of the scariest villains of Doctor Who, in my opinion (they creep me out)
    This was one of the first episodes of Season Three I watched, and is a creepy episode at that.
    I do love the Weeping Angel episodes, and this is one of the creepiest. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are very creepy. Thanks and yes, creepy is the best description of any of the Angels episodes.

      -James

      Delete
  6. That's probably a must-see episode I haven't saw and I should remember about it, I've gotta admire this best episode for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should most definitely watch it, one of the best.

      -James

      Delete
  7. Blink is one of my favorite episodes, and I completely agree that it's one of the best Doctor Who episodes ever. The Weeping Angels are my favorite Doctor Who villains besides the Daleks. I agree with everything you commented on - there were great quotes, unique and creative villains, and a lot of suspense. I think Sally Sparrow was a great character. Sometimes I think she could have made a cool companion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems unanimous that Blink is one of the best episodes! Thank you, glad we agree. Probably one of, if not, the most suspenseful episodes of the series. Fantastic idea, she should become a companion.

      -James

      Delete
  8. Great review! :D Blink is a great episode, and has so many good quotes. The Weeping Angels are such cool aliens to have in Doctor Who. It's interesting how they're scary but lonely and don't necessarily kill you, but like Sally's friend at the beginning, you can end up with a good life somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, the Angels are, like the Doctor said, the only assassins in the universe to kill someone nicely, or something like that.

      -James

      Delete
  9. Hi James The Movie Reviewer - I was wondering if you would like to participate in a Doctor Who challenge I made?
    I think you might only do reviews on J and J Productions, but since you are a Doctor Who fan, I decided to tag you anyway:

    http://climbingthealpinepath.blogspot.com/2013/07/doctor-who-tag.html

    Just let me know whether or not you would like to participate. :)

    ReplyDelete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...