SEARCH MY BLOG

Sunday, February 28, 2016

88th Academy Awards

88th Academy Awards are tonight on ABC! Well, this year's Oscars are not without its fair share of controversy. #OscarsSoWhite is a big deal this year, and others have written much better informed articles about the topic, so I'll just leave it at that. 

Personally, I have given up on the Oscars for quite a while now. However, this year did have two interesting films nominated for Best Picture, Mad Max: Fury Road and The Martian. Honestly, I'm still baffled by Mad Max's nomination. Sure, there is a lot of critical praise, but at the end of the day, it's purely an action flick, albeit an awesome one at that. I'm not saying it doesn't deserve a nomination, because it does. I'm saying that it's rather shocking that after so long, the Academy nominates a cool action flick. Who knows what that could mean for the future. Granted, Return of the King won Best Picture a decade ago and no other sci-fi or fantasy flick has come remotely close to matching that. And, of course, The Martian is easily my pick of the nominated films because it's just that good. 

The other category that interests me is Best Animated Feature Film. Inside Out will be the obvious winner since Pixar almost always wins, even when it does not deserve it. Sure, Inside Out is a great movie, one of Pixar's best, but it does not stand up to Studio Ghibli's latest, and possibly final film, When Marnie Was There. If you haven’t seen it, go watch it; it is one of the year’s best dramas. So, are you interested in the Oscars? Do you have thoughts? Please comment below and check back soon!



If you want to contact us or have any questions please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

2 comments:

  1. I don't care for the Oscars, but I still can have a lot of fun watching them. ;) I watched it very efficiently this time. We recorded it, started watching late, and skipped over all the talking commercials and boring acceptance speeches, and every time we caught up to real time we'd go watch a Community episode (we just discovered it and are totally obsessed). It was great! I was impressed at how many Mad Max won. Still haven't seen it, but it's high on my to-watch list. Mark Rylance gave a great acceptance speech. And then of course there was Leo. On one hand it's sad that the joke's over, but at least next year he won't have to try and top that performance with something even crazier! And then he shamelessly plugs global warming propaganda in his speech. XD My favorite moment was when Andy Serkis was presenting and rubbed his eye with his middle finger...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was my first time watching the Oscars and I personally found it enjoyable. I wanted Room to win best picture though. I'm so happy Brie Larson got her Oscar. (and Leo. although Im so salty my favorite meme has now died with that.)
    I think I mostly enjoyed hanging out with people I love and fangirling over stupid things. because that always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...