SEARCH MY BLOG

Sunday, February 22, 2015

The 87th Oscars are Tonight!

The Academy Awards, where snobs and "critics" get together to award the most Oscar bait worthy films of the year, and the winners are revealed tonight at the 87th Oscars. All jokes aside, although my opinion of the Academy is not necessarily positive, I do not agree with them most of the time, or at least not since The Return of the King won Best Picture. However, I generally agree the Academy's picks during the 90s, 70s, and in the past. Anyway, tonight is the Oscars, and even though I do not plan to watch them, I will be interested to see the winners. However, I am surprised that Gone Girl only received one nomination, which was for Rosamund Pike in Best Actress in a Leading Role. Fincher should have been nominated for Best Director and maybe even Cinematography. With that said, if Rosamund Pike does not win, it will be the biggest mistake of the Oscars of the year; well, except for certain a snubbing, which I will get to in a minute. She was incredible in her role, and speaking of Gone Girl, look for my review of that film on Tuesday.
As for the snub, how the heck did The Lego Movie not get nominated for Best Animated Feature!? Seriously, almost everyone loved it, so tell why it was not nominated!? It was nominated for Best Original Song with "Everything is Awesome," yet it failed to be nominated for Animated Feature! Yes, I have read the reasons for it getting snubbed in Variety's article, but even Rotten Tomatoes rated it higher than any other animated film last year, so there is really no excuse. With that said, at least The Tale of the Princess Kaguya was nominated. Despite being one of Studio Ghibli's weaker efforts, maybe it can win to make up for the last year's travesty of Frozen beating The Wind Rises. 
Obviously, the Academy did not nominate any of the amazing blockbusters except for Best Visual Effects, but it is not like that is ever going to happen.

What do you think of the nominations and snubs? Please comment below and let me know, and be sure to check back Tuesday for my review of Gone Girl.


If you want to contact us or have any questions please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

8 comments:

  1. I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE THE LEGO MOVIE DIDN'T GET NOMINATED. I would say this is the last straw, but Wreck-it Ralph loosing to Brave was the last straw, and the academy voting for Frozen without having even SEEN The Wind Rises simply made me want to punch a hole in the wall. So I have nothing more to say on the matter unless you want to me start ramming my head on my keyboard. 8-|

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please stop before you cause yourself bodily harm, lol. XD

      -James

      Delete
  2. I agree with your rant. This years Oscars will be the worst ever. I have not seen Budapest Hotel, Birdman or other niche movies nominated. I did really like the Imitation Game and hope it wins. The Lego movie is probably the best mainstream animation movie ever.

    For me the ultimate insult was no big nomination for Interstellar. By far the most interesting and profound movie so far this decade if not this century. Combine that with the nomination for American Sniper and you just have to wonder if the Koch brothers are now running the Academy along with most everyting else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad someone agrees! And I agree about The Lego Movie being beset mainstream animated movie ever.

      Unfortunately, I did not get to see Interstellar or The Imitation Game, so I can't say anything about either one, but Nolan has always been snubbed at the Oscars. Inception should have been nominated for multiple Oscars.

      -James

      Delete
  3. The Lego Movie not getting nominated is going to be an all-time snubbing. I think the lesson learned from this years Awards Season comes from Selma; if you have an Oscar contending movie don't release it late, it rarely works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, The Lego Movie being snubbed is just insane!

      Thanks for commenting on my blog!

      -James

      Delete
  4. The reason that THE LEGO MOVIE isn't nominated is because it wasn't fully animated. How could you not seen my news update about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which post? I must have missed it. However, The Lego Movie was still animated in computers just like other 3D animated movies.

      -James

      Delete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...