SEARCH MY BLOG

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Attack on Titan: Episode 9 Review

After yet another mind-blowing twist, the Titans' assault on the city Trost continues.
*Major Spoilers*
Episode 9 opens with the audience's first real introduction to Levi, the most bad*ss Titan slaying machine in the Survey Corps. The first 8 minutes of the episode essentially introduces The Scout Regiment to the audience and showing why they were not inside the inner wall when the Titans attacked Trost. Other than Levi's brief moment of awesomeness, another notable character, Zoë Hange, is introduced. While I do not know much about the character other than the gender of the character is ambiguous in the manga, whereas Zoë is definitely a woman in the anime series, her brief scenes were interesting, but not much about the character is revealed. 
After those 8 minutes, the episode flashes back to what happened to Eren after being eaten by the bearded "Santa Claus" Titan. With Eren in the stomach of a Titan, we see how he escaped by turning into a Titan. Following the flashback, Commander Kitz Woermann must decide whether or not Eren is a threat. Seeing Mikasa stand up for Eren to protect him was not surprising considering the previous episodes and her protectiveness of him. The episode concludes with Woermann ordering the wall cannons to fire, which caused Eren to have a quick flashback with his father telling him something important about his mysterious power. Eren uses his Titan powers to transform partially into a Titan to save his friends. While there is normally quite a bit to discuss with AoT episodes, there was not much to episode eight of Attack on Titan. Even though it was certainly a cool episode with the usually amazing animation, it was more of a setup for what is to come, which is not necessarily bad, but it is certainly not on the same level of the previous few episodes. 

Overall: 7.8/10- While still undeniably entertaining and epic, episode eight of Attack on Titan felt more like a bridge to the next episode than providing anything substantial.

If you want to contact us or have any questions please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

8 comments:

  1. I agree. This is one of those episodes that nothing much really happens. The inconsistent pacing is actually one of the reasons why I can't give AOT a perfect score. I mean, sometimes it feels that things are intentionally delayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If was still watching the series on a weekly bias like you did, I think would be even more frustrated by the pacing, but I agree, episodes like this are certainly an issue.

      -James

      Delete
  2. Great review! I agree, this episode was pretty much a bridge(leading to one of my favorite episodes of this arc, actually), though the introduction of Levi, Hange, and Petra(the orange-haired girl- she's a member of his squad and she's REALLY good) is something I remember being really cool. You're right about Hange- in the manga(and in the sub if I remember correctly) the character hasn't been referred as a guy or a girl- Hange is a really great character and they get some awesome development! :) And yes, Levi is definitely very awesome! I love his fight scenes(there was a recent combat scene with him in the manga that was so cool- can't wait to see it in season 2!). Looking forward to your review of the next episode! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D Okay, didn't know Petra was important, interesting. :)

      -James

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh!!!!! Levi!!! He's my favorite character! :D And Hanji!! I love her! She's probably my favorite female character in Attack on Titan now that I think about it. I really need to watch AoT again, I haven't seen it in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Levi seems to be a lot of people favorite character! :D

      -James

      Delete
  4. The biggest question will be: How much are you willing to sacrifice to protect your way of life? And that, I think, is pretty much the one question we, as humans, will always have to seek answers to.

    All in all, I think the creator of this story has done a good job in the emotions department. Once again, if you haven’t gotten to this series yet, put it on your must-watch list. And then come back and tell me how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. That is exactly what the series is about. I plan to marathon the final few episodes Thursday (the Blu-Ray finally came out!), so I am very excited.

      -James

      Delete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...