SEARCH MY BLOG

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Underrated Music of the Week

If you are new to my blog, you might not know that I am a soundtrack enthusiast, or junkie if you prefer, and my immense enjoyment from various movies, TV, and video games is always making me look for the next great score that will have me addicted for the next month, and I believe may have found it. Without further ado, here are some of the best tracks from what I consider to be one of the best underrated soundtracks that I have discovered. Today's score is by composer Hiroyuki Sawano, who scored the immensely popular Attack on Titan, from the series Kill la Kill. Even if you have no interest in the series, you should be able to find at least one score among Sawano's excellent work. He combines many genres from Danny Elfman type scores, to rock, to oriental, most of which blends brilliantly. On a side note, my Underrated Music posts in the past have failed, but I want to try them again since I enjoy critique soundtracks and other similar music so much that I want to make it a regular part of my posting schedule again, if it succeeds.

Of the score, Nui Harime's theme is easily the most haunting. It heavily reminds me of a Danny Elfman score combined with hints of rock and electronic beats mixed in. The track takes a few seconds to get going, but when it does, it is some truly great work by the composer.

Nonon Jakuzure's theme effectively captures the marching band feel, while simultaneously throwing in some slightly techno distorted sounds, resulting in one rather bombastic score. Aside from the appealing cadence and general bombastic sound that you would expect from a march band, it is the type of track that I can listen to on a loop many times without trying of it, which I have done quite often.

Among the score, Blumenkranz is the one that is most often praised, and I can most certainly understand why, because it is utterly effective. While listening to the song on its own is quite good, it is even more effective when used as the villain's main theme, making it one of my favorite villain themes in recent memory. To my knowledge, the lyrics are fittingly in German considering the context, and that makes the song all the more ominous. 

Uzu Sanageyama's theme is fittingly fast, fun, and heavily influenced by the oriental aspect of the character. Again, some minor electronic distortion is mixed in there to rather great effect along with some background chanting. While not the best of the score, it is rather good and fun to listen to. 

Another villain type theme titled, Satsuki Kiryuin's theme, and it very bombastic and imposing, just like the character. It perfectly captures the militaristic overlord feel that it is trying to convey rather nicely. Later in the track, there are some fun guitar notes, which I am very fond of. 

There are several other tracks from the series, particularly the song "Don't Lose Your Way," however, I wanted to focus more on the more orchestral music opposed to the songs, which are still really good for the most. 

What did you think of the soundtrack? What do you think of me bringing back Underrated Music of the Week back? Also, what did you think of my commentary? Maybe I should review soundtracks in the future. Please let me know in the comments.





If you want to contact us or have any questions please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

3 comments:

  1. I, personally, love your soundtrack blog entries, but then, I'm a soundtrack collector myself. You listen to different types of soundtracks from me, so I always appreciate these entries, as they expose me to scores I wouldn't hear otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. I am curious though, what type of soundtracks do you listen to? Even though my posts have been about obscure scores, my favorites usually the classics by composers such as John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Alan Silvestri and the like.

      -James

      Delete
    2. I think I just listen to more older orchestral scores, from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. It's rare for me to find a good score written today, though there current modern composers I love, like Danny Elfman, John Debney, Thomas Newman, and James Newton Howard. Jerry Goldsmith is my all-time favorite composer. I own almost every score he's written. Very fond of James Horner, Elmer Bernstein, and Basil Poledouris as well.

      Delete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...